Monday, September 28, 2009

The BEST side effect

So many people have asked me if I have any cravings. My general answer is no. However I do have crazy aversions. The thought, smell and/or taste of chicken makes me want to gag. The smell of Benihana restaurant, sadly, is nauseating to me. The smell of seafood of any kind must be avoided at all costs. On a plus note, I no longer have an aversion to my husband! Basically, I like beef, pasta and tofu. I have however, had one craving that I was afraid to submit to.

For the last 5 years I have been severely lactose intolerant. I mean so much so that I wouldn't dare have a bit of dairy. No cheese, no ice cream, no milk, no nothing. Early on in my pregnancy I wanted cheese. Not my normal soy cheese but the real deal. After a few weeks of avoiding the craving at all cost I finally decided to give in. And I am so glad I did! I had no negative side effect from eating the cheese. In fact, it finally sated my craving.

I told this to my OB/GYN at my 11 week appointment. She said it was completely normal for lactose intolerance to reverse itself during pregnancy. Apparently the baby needs calcium and it's needs trump my body's needs right now.

Look out dairy, because here I come! Already I have enjoyed gelato, string cheese, grilled cheese, yogurt, cream cheese and more. I cannot wait to try some other delicious dairy delights that I have not had in years. Chocolate malted crunch ice cream, a mint chocolate chip sundae from 31 flavors, ravioli, manicotti, cheesecake, oh my!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh girl, we MUST have a dairy party. Cheese and bread and mac and cheese and pizza. Bring it.

    ReplyDelete