Saturday, November 14, 2009

Oh the Changes

Earlier this week I read Jenny McCarthy's, "Belly Laughs." So many people rave about the book, but I didn't really find it as funny as I expected. There were however, a few things that made me laugh out loud. It seems that some of her pregnancy side effects were the same as mine, only exaggerated by 100%. For example, her cravings and mood swings were far worse than anything I have experienced. I, on the other hand, am having a bunch of side effects that I have never even heard about.

Before I get into the list of all the not so great things, one of the most amazing feelings that I have experienced is the baby kicking. I was lucky enough to recognize the first sensation at around 16 weeks. Now that I am 19, I feel him all of the time. The other day, Larry felt him kick as well. It was a one off, but I am thinking that by week 20 Larry will be able to really feel him moving more often. It is such a great way for him to be able to share in this experience.

Now without further ado, here are the not so great side effects in no particular order:
  • VEINS! They are popping up everywhere. We are not talking crazy vericose veins. Just those annoying spider veins. Unfortunately, the place they seem to keep popping up most is my face. I had to go to the mac counter for a whole new makeup regime. I now wear foundation and concealer daily.
  • RED SPOTS/BLOOD BLISTERS! These little guys are popping up everywhere too! I have the on my hands, arms, breasts, cheek, legs, and more. It seems that no territory has been left behind.
  • MOOD SWINGS! Now mine haven't yet been as crazy as some that JM had, but they are enough to make my husband's existence difficult. Sometimes I'll take the most minor things out on him, but of course when I do, I am reacting as if they are a huge problem. One second I am the greatest, nicest wife in the world. The next I am Satan.
  • MOOD SWINGS PT 2! I cry like I have never cried before. The other day I watched a movie called, "Glitter." I don't know if you have heard of it, but it stars Mariah Carey and it really is a bad movie. Well, it didn't matter that it wasn't good. I got mad at Larry for trying to talk to me while I was watching and by the end of the movie I was hysterically crying. Same thing happens whenever I talk to Larry and he offers me a great solution to something that bothers me. The waterworks just start flowing. Then I laugh because I realize how stupid it is that I am crying.
  • MOOD SWINGS PT 3! My tolerance for people has reached an all time low.
  • HEART BURN! Well, this just started yesterday but I can already tell it is gonna be a doozie. I was laying on the couch when I suddenly thought my chest was caving in. After a few minutes I realized that it was what so many women complain about during pregnancy: Heart Burn! I have never had heart burn before, but let me tell you it isn't pleasant. I am 19 weeks today an suddenly I feel nauseous every time I eat. Then the burn comes.
  • DRY SKIN! I lube up with a great moisturizing cream everyday but that hasn't stopped the chap from taking over. I am talking all over the place, my arms, my boobs, my face -- all of them are ashy. I hydrate as much as possible, but it just doesn't matter. I also have dry flaky scalp. Yes DANDRUFF. Head and Shoulders is my new bff.
  • HOT FLASHES! One second I will be sitting comfortable and the next I need to take off layers of clothing. At night I start off wearing pjs and often times wake up with no covers on and completely naked. That is with the thermostat set at 71 degrees and the air blowing.
  • OH MY HAIR! I don't know where to begin with my hair. The first trimester it just plain fell out. Now it is thicker but the texture is different. It used to be curly, then wavy. Now it is both or neither. Everyday I have no idea what I am going to get.
  • CRAMPS! Not everyone gets them, but I always have with my periods. Now that I am pregnant that hasn't changed. It seems I always am informed about when my uterus is growing because my cramping alarm goes off. The cool thing is now that I am further along, I can see a difference in my belly size a day or two after the cramping/growing.
  • CAN'T REMEMBER SQUAT (CRS)! What was I gonna say? Oh, I don't remember.
  • MY BACK!!! This one has got to be the most difficult for me right now. My mid back will go into spasm and the pain is awful. I think it is because I have been on bed rest and my body is sick of laying down, but really I have no idea. Last night I got out of my comfy bed and slept on the floor for more support. It actually was quite comfortable and my back didn't hurt as much. I just hope sleeping on the floor isn't necessary every night.

No comments:

Post a Comment