Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Hubby's Reaction

Larry (husband) was not home when I took the test. I didn't want to tell him over the phone for 2 reasons: 1. I wanted to see his reaction and 2. he is a writer and I knew this would break his ability to concentrate. For this reason, I must suggest taking a pregnancy test when your significant other is around. I now had a huge secret and I wanted to share it!

Countdown begins: t-minus 5 hours until I get to share the news with the husband.

After I took the positive test, I emailed Larry telling him that I was excited for him to come home. He immediately emailed back reminding me that he was working late, but then asked why I was excited. Then without me saying anything he said, "ooh, did you get me something from Costco?" I had to think quickly on my feet. "Yes," I replied.

The rest of the conversation goes as follows:

Larry -will I see it when I walk in the house?
Sam (that's me) - I could make that happen if you want.
Larry - Oh, so it's not big, huh? bummer.
Sam - I think you will like it.
Larry - Give me a hint.
Sam - It is life changing.
Larry - Ooh, did you get me a tie rack? Another bbq?
Sam - I don't knooow...you'll have to see when you get home.
Larry - Ok. fine. Can't wait to come home.

After we hung up, I had about 30 minutes to kill before my friend came to dinner. I wanted to call and tell the world, but also knew that it is/was too risky to tell people so early. More than anything, I wanted to call my mom. My mom passed away March 16, 2000. Not having her around to share in the news was a difficult moment. I allowed myself to process my sadness and then I called my brother.

My friend and I went to dinner at PF Chang's. I thought I would be able to hold it in for sure, but I ended up telling her the news. I mean, it was almost impossible to have kept it a secret. She got married the weekend after we did and we have sort of been on the same track (until now).

Long story short, I told her the story you just read above. Then she asked how I was going to tell Larry. Together we decided to go to Bed Bath and Beyond to buy a tie rack. That was after all, what he joked about wanting. I placed the pregnancy test in the box with the rack inside some bubble wrap and put a post it that said, "read me" on the test. Then I placed a post it on the plastic wrap that read, "take me out." Finally, I placed a post it on the outside of the box, "open me." I wrapped the gift and wrote, "Suprise for Laurence" on the box.

He called me on the ride home, still questioning what the potential surprise could be. Then he said, "ooh the pair of adidas I have been wanting." That was the idea he stuck with. When he got home he saw the wrapped box that had very similar measurements to a shoe box. He was sure it was the Adidas.

Larry opened the box and started laughing when he saw the box for the tie rack, but still was clueless about what was coming. Next, he noticed the post it note on the outside of the box and followed the directions to open the box. He opened the box to find the post it saying, "take me out" on the bubble wrap. After what seemed like an eternity he got to the note that said "read me" accompanied by the test. Smiling he said, "what's this?" Then it registered, his face went blank and he was speechless. The poor guy just worked an exhausting 12 hour day and I just sprung this on him. Shock would be the understatement of the year by the look on his face and his lack of response.

The breaking news was finally reported. To confirm what he saw on the stick we took another test at 11:30 -- it was positive! Okay, this is now the real deal. Then with the two tests in hand, we took another picture.


Larry's reaction

I think today (Aug 6) is the first day that Larry has come out of his shocked state. He hasn't really had time to process nor have we had time together. We are both looking forward to this weekend. Oh, and he said he has already started thinking about names. Here we go!


No comments:

Post a Comment