Thursday, August 6, 2009

Let's try without trying

Two days ago (August 4) I found out I was pregnant. My husband and I decided in May that we would "have fun"after my shoulder surgery, which was June 17. By "have fun" we meant, let's go off of the pill, but not actively work at getting pregnant. If it happens it happens. Well, it happened and it happened fast. After only the first month of "having fun" we have conceived.

Actually, I am not quite as excited as I feel like I should be. With so many friends who have miscarried their first, I find myself more nervous than anything. I'd say we are cautiously optimistic at this point.

That being said, we feel so lucky that this has happened so quickly. I don't know if every woman feels this way, but I was scared for so long that I would not be able to get pregnant. Obviously this was unfounded, but you don't know what you don't know. Up until now, I haven't tried to get pregnant so I had no idea if I could.

With 2 nieces and 4 nephews (well, almost 4 -- Kyle is due next week), I used to think I was better prepared for this process. Ends up, I'm not. I had no idea that I would already have so many questions. Unfortunately, my mom passed away almost 10 years ago, so I feel a bit disadvantaged when it comes to asking questions. Basically, my maternal line is almost non-existent. While I know I have friends and amazing family members that I can ask about the experience, there is nothing like your mom. Now while celebrating the journey of bringing a baby to life, I also mourn my mother more than ever.

I have just figured out why I am writing. This blog is about preparing to be a mommy and going through it without my mommy. I have titled this blog "Sweet Pea and Me" because my mom and grandma called me Sweet Pea.

No comments:

Post a Comment