Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Vegas for Baby

Good morning from Las Vegas! No, I am not here for a fun filled bender on the strip. Come on people!

My brother, Brad and sister-in-law, Glenda live in Vegas. Glenda was due yesterday with her 3rd child. Right now she is asleep on the couch in the office, the baby still safely nestled in her belly. At this point in her pregnancy, she is ready for the action to commence. Apparently, once you hit 40 weeks you are more than ready to meet the baby because everything is uncomfortable, including but not limited to eating, sitting, lying down, lifting kids, driving, and going to the bathroom. It seems no stone is left unturned in your body preparing you for the "get this baby out of me" phase.

While other women and families tend to have at least one set of parents present for major milestones or to visit grandkids, Glenda and Brad generally do not. I was present for the birth of my niece, Sydney (almost 5) and nephew, Dylan (2 1/2). I don't want to miss this one either. In most cases, I am the only immediate family available to help out before and after the baby is born or when someone is sick. Unfortunately, we don't live in the same city. Fortunately, we are only an hour flight apart.

Me with the Sher Family on Mother's Day

Glenda is from a small town in Ireland called Kavan. It is such a quaint place and her family is incredible. They visit as often as possible, but they are still a country and an ocean away. Brad, on the other hand has a bunch of family in Los Angeles.

Sadly, our dad doesn't really ever come up to visit. I think the current statistic is one visit per year, unless there is some emergency. Pleasure trips to visit the family are non existent. If my mom were alive, she would be here every month or two (my stepdad actually does come up that often). That was just her style. She would not want to miss out on the grandkids growing up. She would have also made sure to have been here for Glenda and Brad during this time. I don't think I am putting her on a pedestal when I say she was the epitome of what a mom is and I miss her a lot at these times. I am sure Brad does too, although he doesn't readily admit it.

I am sure you are wondering how Brad and Glenda met if he is from LA and she is from Ireland. No she is not a mail order bride! Brad and I went to Australia to celebrate my graduating from college and to spend some quality time together on the eve of the one year anniversary of our mom's passing. Brad decided to extend his trip and I decided to leave the trip a day early. Rather than stay in a hotel, Brad decided to find a hostel. Long story short, he met Glenda that night, March 16, 2001, at the hostel on the one year anniversary of losing our mom. They had weeks to travel New Zealand and Australia together. I feel like my mom was somehow involved in arranging it so that Brad would meet Glenda on that particular day. Ever since, she has filled his saddened heart with a new joy.

Back to my story, Glenda may be the cutest pregnant lady I have ever seen. She doesn't look pregnant from behind. She has a huge tummy only visible from the front or side view. Considering I have already gained a few, I do not expect to carry like her. She is non-stop action: picking up the two kids, running around after them, swimming with them, etc. She is a pregnant super hero in my eyes.

Pregnant Glenda swimming with Kids

Seriously?

I am here until Sunday and hope she that delivers before I leave. Glenda is doing a home birth. She will have a midwife, a doulla, a massage therapist, friends and family present for Kyle's grand entrance. She has already experienced two children the "traditional" way, in the hospital. This time she would like to try a more natural and less stressful approach. She will deliver Kyle in a birthing tub filled with water. There will be no IVs or monitors, just those present and her experience. She will be able to eat up until the last second and walk around when she feels necessary. Everyone expected to attend provided a list of their suggested songs. We turned that into a 6 hour compilation they will play during the birthing process.

Kids Playing in Birthing Tub

Sydney and Dylan are so excited for the birth. They have both watched home birthing videos and seem to totally understand what is going on. Dylan comes in from school everyday asking to watch the birthing video. The kids have seen that there is blood involved but are not afraid in the slightest. They have had great questions and love being a part of the process. One of my favorite questions from Sydney is, "Mommy why doesn't the baby come out of the butt instead? It is so much bigger!"

One theory about home birth is that some children feel alienated or jealous of a new sibling joining the family. By allowing the kids to be a part of the process they will feel more involved with the new baby as a whole and in turn be more accepting of its arrival. According to the midwife, pregnancy is not a medical condition. It is a natural process that the body knows how to accomplish. The only reason Glenda would end up in the hospital is if the baby is in distress or there is a complication that turns it into a medical condition. Glenda's midwife has delivered over 2000 babies and only 1 case ended up in the hospital. If for some reason a complication occurs the hospital is just down the street. Less than 5 minutes.

On my end, I can't wait to witness a home birth vs a hospital birth. I have probably seen more than a woman with no kids who is now pregnant should see. I wonder if the home birth will seem a lot more gentle despite no epidural. I'll keep you posted...


No comments:

Post a Comment